What is Basal Body Temperature (BBT)
Basal Body Temperature (BBT) is the temperature that you are at rest. It is the lowest temperature of your body.
Why should I check my basal body temperature (BBT)
Your basal body temperature (BBT) stays low from the start of your period until your ovulate. Once you’ve ovulated, your BBT raises and stays high up to your next period. Therefore, by measuring and recording your basal body temperature (BBT), you know whether you’ve ovulated on that cycle. And if you do, when do you ovulate.
If checking and recording BBT properly, your fertility practitioners may also detect your fertility energy changes reflected from BBT chart. Your acupuncturist may adjust your acupuncture TCM treatment according to those subtle changes.
How to measure and record your BBT:
- You should have at least 3 hours of continuous sleep before measuring your basal body temperature.
- You need to prepare a normal digital thermometer. If you use a glass thermometer, you should shake the temperature the day before using.
- It’s best to have an alarm clock and try to measure at the same time every day when you wake up (not when you get up). It should be the same on weekends.
- If you wake up too early or too late, it is best to make a note on the chart of the day.
- Measure your body temperature directly when you wake up in the morning (do not do anything before this –like going to the bathroom or give your husband a hug…).
- There are two ways to measure body temperature: oral or transvaginal
- Oral: Put the thermometer deeply between the root of the gum and face. Make sure your mouth is close when measuring;
- Transvaginal: Transvaginal will be more stable, temperature may be slightly higher than oral.
- Record the temperature immediately after recording.
- Draw a cross at the appropriate temperature and make a line chart.
- If the temperature is between two numbers on the glass thermometer, always take the lower number.
- Record anything like emotional stress and illness such as a cold, fever, etc.
- You can download the mobile app for easy recording. We recommend Fertility Friend here
Should you have any questions please feel free to contact us or call us to make an appointment.